Published Jun 1, 2022
Tackle lidded forms and learn the best approaches to sgraffito decoration!
In this 2-hour workshop, Glynnis Lessing will demonstrate how to throw a medium-sized oval jar and decorate it with sgraffito! Glynnis will cover throwing and ovaling the form, making a well-fitting lid, adding handles and knobs, how to have success with sgraffito, and much more!
- Tips for throwing with persnickety porcelain (these skills are helpful with other clay bodies too!)
- Throwing a gallery in a vertical piece
- Ovaling a thrown piece with the bottom still in it
- Handbuilding a lid and making it fit just right
- All about applying slip for sgraffito—optimal texture and timing
- Using diluted tempera paint to sketch out designs
- Glynnis's favorite sgraffito tools and carving tips for sgraffito success
- and more!
This webinar is geared toward intermediate- to advanced-level potters (although beginners will find plenty of inspiration!)