Editor’s Picks: Top Five Ceramics Exhibitions and Events – August 2010

Hong-Ling Wee's “Prayer House,” 11 inches (28 centimeters) in height, handbuilt and wheel-thrown stoneware, colored slips, fired to Cone 02; at the Garrison Art Center.

Hong-Ling Wee’s “Prayer House,” 11 inches (28 centimeters) in height, handbuilt and wheel-thrown stoneware, colored slips, fired to Cone 02; at the Garrison Art Center.

No! No! No! I don’t want to acknowledge that it is almost August. But it is, and that means that it is time to pass along what I consider to be the hottest ceramics exhibitions out there for the last month of summer. – Jennifer Harnetty, editor.

To see a more complete listing of ceramic exhibitions and events, please check out the Ceramics Monthly calendar.


Urn by Daniel Ricardo Teran, 2009, Earthenware 9"x9"x19".

Urn by Daniel Ricardo Teran, 2009, Earthenware 9″x9″x19″.

I was so excited to happen upon 2007 Kansas City Art Institute graduate Daniel Ricardo Teran’s work recently. I am so taken by the combination of his luscious, milky slips and glazes, the earthenware clay and his wonderful drawings. This is a must see in Kansas City!
The details...

Where:
Red Star Studios, Kansas City, Missouri
What:

New Work by Daniel Ricardo Teran
When:

August 628, 2010
Web:

www.redstarstudios.org

To learn more about Daniel Ricardo Teran or see more images of his work, please visit www.DanielRicardoTeran.wordpress.com.


Fourteen American artists were invited to exhibit in the Vallauris Ceramic Biennial in Vallauris, France. The artists featured are Susan Beiner, Jeremy Brooks, Tsehai
Johnson, Sarah Lindley, Tyler Lotz, Jeffery Mongrain, Adelaide Paul,
Jeanne Quinn, Joyce Robins, Kathy Ruttenberg, Amy Santoferraro (work shown),
Benjamin Schulman, Virginia Scotchie, and Arlene Shechet
– a veritable powerhouse of contemporary ceramic sculptors and installation artists. Je l’aime!
The details...

Where:

Multiple galleries and museums including: Salle Eden, Vallauris, France
What:

Biennale Internationale de Vallauris Cr©ation Contemporaine et C©ramique
When:

Through November 15, 2010
Web:

www.vallauris-golfe-juan.com

To learn more about Amy Santoferraro or see more images of her work, please visit www.amysantoferraro.com.

Amy Santoferraro, Sammy / Winner, 2009, porcelain, found materials.

Amy Santoferraro, Sammy / Winner, 2009, porcelain, found materials.


Medium Jar with Feet, Guillermo Cuellar, thrown stoneware, matte gray, yellow and blue glaze, reduction fired, 4.5x6.75x6.75.

Medium Jar with Feet, Guillermo Cuellar, thrown stoneware, matte gray, yellow and blue glaze, reduction fired, 4.5×6.75×6.75.

This handsome pot is part of a Schaller Gallery online exhibition, so everybody gets to go to this one! Enjoy!
The details...

Where:

Schaller Gallery, Red Lodge, Montana
What:


Guillermo Cuellar, Solo Exhibition
When:


Through August 9, 2010
Web:

www.schallergallery.com


To learn more about Guillermo Cuellar or see more images of his work, please visit
www.guillermopottery.com.


Stay abreast of current trends in ceramics by subscribing to Ceramics Monthly!
Each beautifully illustrated issue is a delight to your eye and an inspiration to your creative spirit.
Subscribe today!


Vidal Corona, Vessel with Humming Birds.

Vidal Corona, Vessel with Humming Birds.

A couple of months back, we featured a video about Mata Ortiz, a village in Mexico that came back to life thanks to one man and his passion for pottery. The story is a fascinating one and, if you missed it, I highly recommend checking it out here.

So, I just had to feature this exhibition of Mata Ortiz works at Armstrong’s Gallery in Pomona, California. When I initially saw the piece at the left, I didn’t realize it was a Mata Ortiz pot – a testament to the fact that Mata Ortiz potters are blending
traditional and contemporary designs to create a dynamic new art movement.

The details...

Where:

Armstrong’s, Pomona, California
What:


3rd Annual Mata Ortiz Exhibition
When:


Through September 4, 2010
Web:

www.armstronggallery.net


Hong Ling Wee
says, “the experience of safe and quiet spaces is what the work is
about.” And with the muted, yet subtly vibrant, color palette and the
simplicity of the form, I would have to agree. I would imagine that if
I were to see these in person, I would want to shrink down and crawl
right inside.


The details...
Where:

Garrison Art Center, Garrison, New York
What:


Hong Ling Wee: “That House I Go Back To”
When:

August 13-29, 2010
Web:
www.garrisonartcenter.org

To learn more about Hong Ling Wee and see more images of her work, visit www.ceramicus.com.

Hong-Ling Wee's “Prayer House,” 11 inches (28 centimeters) in height, handbuilt and wheel-thrown stoneware, colored slips, fired to Cone 02; at the Garrison Art Center.

Hong-Ling Wee’s “Prayer House,” 11 inches (28 centimeters) in height, handbuilt and wheel-thrown stoneware, colored slips, fired to Cone 02; at the Garrison Art Center.


 

Comments
  • Ciccardini J.

    Mon passe temps favori depuis que j’ai trouvé votre site, merci beaucoup! J’apprécie la diversité des créationset la technicité, j’aime beaucoup tous ces artistes!

  • Ciccardini J.

    Mon passe temps favori depuis que j’ai trouvé votre site, merci beaucoup! J’apprécie la diversité des créationset la technicité, j’aime beaucoup tous ces artistes!

  • Linda S.

    Have to agree with Pete – to a samll degree. Once I get on these sites, it’s easy to “waste” time. However, when I do find something inspiring, I run to my workspace and ignore the housework. Pretty darned dool!

  • Linda S.

    Have to agree with Pete – to a samll degree. Once I get on these sites, it’s easy to “waste” time. However, when I do find something inspiring, I run to my workspace and ignore the housework. Pretty darned dool!

  • Pete G.

    The more time I spend looking at pictures of other peoples’ great work, the less time I spend with clay itself. I find this habit inspiring about 10 % of the time, and stultifying the other 90%.

    Back to the clay…my clay.

  • Pete G.

    The more time I spend looking at pictures of other peoples’ great work, the less time I spend with clay itself. I find this habit inspiring about 10 % of the time, and stultifying the other 90%.

    Back to the clay…my clay.

  • Monsebroten N.

    Hong Ling Wees “Prayer Houses” are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

  • Monsebroten N.

    Hong Ling Wees “Prayer Houses” are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

  • Maureen L.

    Jennifer,

    Great choices! Thanks for the head’s up.

  • Maureen L.

    Jennifer,

    Great choices! Thanks for the head’s up.

  • Christine P.

    Pomona is transforming its old town into an arts district. AMOCA is there, and there are many art galleries featuring a wide variety of mediums. Several nice restaurants are popping up in that district. It’s a lovely place to spend an afternoon just wandering.
    I loved the piece on the Mata Ortiz potters, and will definitely be heading out there! It’s about an hour drive, but will be worth it to gather up a few friends and make a day of it.

  • Christine P.

    Pomona is transforming its old town into an arts district. AMOCA is there, and there are many art galleries featuring a wide variety of mediums. Several nice restaurants are popping up in that district. It’s a lovely place to spend an afternoon just wandering.
    I loved the piece on the Mata Ortiz potters, and will definitely be heading out there! It’s about an hour drive, but will be worth it to gather up a few friends and make a day of it.

Enter Your Log In Credentials
This setting should only be used on your home or work computer.

Larger version of the image

Send this to a friend